Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Road Trip to Oregon

On August first Eli and I got in the car and were on our way to Oregon to visit my Grandma Jean. We did the trip in two days and actually met my Mom and niece Jane in Boise. So the first day was a 6 hour drive to Boise and Eli actually did really well. This was the first time we turned Eli's car seat around so he was forward facing. It made things a lot easier when it was just me and him for the 6 hour drive to Boise. He was awake for the first two hours eating snacks and watching Winnie the Pooh. Then he took a two hour nap and woke up when I stopped to get gas. We took about a 40 minute break and got some food at Wendy's. He was awake for the last 2 hours and was such a trooper. He was really glad when we finally got out of the car and he was able to run around outside. We even got to go swimming that night!

The next morning we got back in the car and drove the 12 hours or so to Glide, OR. My Mom and I took turns driving and we all took turns sitting by Eli. The hardest part was when I was driving and it was time for Eli's nap. He was so tired, but didn't want anyone touching him except for me. Somehow we all survived. We even got to my Grandma's house at a decent hour and one of the first things we did was go down to the river. We didn't change into our swimsuits but that didn't stop Eli from trying to jump in.

We spent a whole week in Oregon. Most of our time was spent visiting with family, swimming in the river, doing puzzles, playing with the chickens, going hiking, and just relaxing. The last time I was in Oregon was right after I found out I was pregnant with Eli (about 2 years ago).

Day 2 of the trip

At the Falls with Grandma and Jane


Riding the big boy toys

Eli and I and the homestead built by my great grandparents

Hiking to Susan Falls 

Playing piano with cousin Jane

Throwing rocks in the river

He would have stayed in the river all day if he could have

Grandma and Jane trying to catch a fish

He was in heaven

Playing bare bottomed in the sand

The cool rock I found that looks like a hamburger

A view of the beautiful waterfall

The gazebo/tent that we slept in

Me and Eli with Grandma Jean









































































































































































The drive home was about the same as the drive there. Except this time Eli was a little more fussy and anxious to get out of the car. As soon as we turned onto our road Eli said
"Woohoo". It was pretty funny, because I didn't even tell him that we were home yet. But as soon as I pulled into our drive way and tried to unbuckle him from the car seat he started freaking out. He didn't want to get out of the car. I finally just took him out and he immediately tried to get back into the car. What a silly boy! He did calm down once we got inside and he saw all of his toys.




2 comments:

Brittany Lewis said...

Sounds like an awesome trip! I'm glad you got to go and that you survived the driving by yourself. I love all the pictures!

Steph said...

What fun pictures! I love the ones of him playing in the sand and water that you took from behind :) Super cute.